TIMARU, 11 August 2026

A 42-year-old man has been arrested following a reported firearms incident in Timaru, after police responded to reports that a firearm had been discharged towards a property in the Marchwiel area.

New Zealand Police said officers were called to Luxmore Road at about 11:20am on Saturday after receiving reports of a firearm being fired towards a property.

Nobody was injured in the incident.

Detective Dave Pascoe said police immediately began enquiries to identify the people and vehicles believed to be connected to what had happened.

The investigation led to two separate vehicle stops later that afternoon, involving armed police officers and several people being taken into custody.

First vehicle stopped on Evans Street

Police said a vehicle of interest was located on Evans Street at approximately 3:30pm on Saturday 8 August.

Armed officers stopped the vehicle and took five people into custody.

After enquiries were completed, all five were later released without charge.

Police continued investigating and subsequently identified a second vehicle of interest.

Second vehicle stopped shortly after

The second vehicle was stopped on Macdonald Street shortly after 4:30pm.

A 42-year-old man was taken into custody without further incident.

Police said he was charged with:

  • Discharging a firearm to intimidate
  • Unlawful possession of a firearm
  • Possessing a knife in a public place

Police said the man was due to appear in the Timaru District Court on Monday 10 August.

The police statement did not provide the outcome of that court appearance.

Search warrants carried out in Marchwiel

Following the arrest, police executed several search warrants at addresses in Marchwiel.

Investigators are continuing to make enquiries into the incident.

Police have also indicated that further arrests remain possible as the investigation develops.

Detective Pascoe said the incident appeared to be isolated and police did not believe there was any ongoing threat to the wider community.

That reassurance will be important for residents in the area, particularly given the nature of the initial report involving a firearm.

No injuries reported

One of the most significant aspects of the incident is that nobody was injured.

Reports of firearms being discharged in residential areas can generate immediate concern because of the potential risk to residents, neighbours and people passing through the area.

Police have not released further detail about the circumstances that led to the firearm allegedly being discharged, nor have they provided information about whether the property was occupied at the time.

They have also not publicly identified any motive.

At this stage, those details remain part of the ongoing investigation.

Police say public safety risk has passed

Police said they do not believe there is an ongoing threat or risk to public safety.

That assessment suggests investigators believe the incident involved specific individuals or circumstances rather than a broader threat to the Timaru community.

The use of armed police during the vehicle stops reflects the level of caution typically required when officers are responding to incidents potentially involving firearms.

The second arrest was completed without further incident.

Investigation remains active

Although one person has been charged, the investigation is not necessarily complete.

Police are continuing enquiries and have specifically stated that further arrests have not been ruled out.

Search warrants carried out after the arrest may form part of efforts to locate additional evidence, establish exactly what occurred, identify any other people involved and determine how any weapons connected to the incident were obtained or used.

Police have not provided details about what, if anything, was seized during the searches.

Firearms incidents taken seriously

Any report involving the discharge of a firearm towards a property is treated seriously because of the potential consequences even when nobody is injured.

Such incidents can place not only those directly involved at risk, but also neighbours, emergency workers and members of the public.

The charges announced by police remain allegations and the defendant is entitled to the presumption of innocence unless and until proven guilty in court.

That distinction is especially important while the matter is before the courts.

Community reassurance after significant police response

For people living around Marchwiel, the police response on Saturday would have been noticeable.

The combination of armed officers, multiple vehicle stops and subsequent search warrants reflects the scale of the investigation that followed the initial emergency call.

However, police have emphasised that the incident is believed to have been isolated.

No injuries were reported, one person was taken into custody, and investigators have continued working through the evidence.

The next stage will depend on the outcome of the court process and any further developments from the police investigation.

For now, authorities say there is no known continuing danger to the public.

Source: New Zealand Police

Police spokesperson: Detective Dave Pascoe

Location: Marchwiel, Timaru