TE PUKE, 30 July 2026
Road upgrades on Boucher Avenue and surrounding streets in Te Puke will resume from late August, beginning the final stage of a major infrastructure project aimed at improving road safety, durability and underground services.
Western Bay of Plenty District Council says work will restart on Monday, 31 August, after a planned pause in March to allow large orchard vehicles to move more safely during the kiwifruit harvest season.
The project includes upgrades to water and stormwater infrastructure, along with a full reconstruction of sections of Boucher Avenue and No. 2 Road.
The remaining work is expected to take about six months and is planned for completion before the next kiwifruit harvest season begins.
Underground infrastructure upgrades already completed
The stormwater and watermain pipe upgrades have now been completed.
Road reconstruction had also begun before work paused earlier this year.
When construction resumes, contractor Fulton Hogan will continue rebuilding the road in stages.
The work will include excavation, road foundation improvements, new chipseal and updated road markings.
Minor remedial work will also be carried out on Cameron Road, Clydesburn Avenue and Randell Place.
Key route used by residents, schools and growers
Boucher Avenue is an important transport route for residents, school families, emergency services, local businesses and the kiwifruit industry.
Western Bay of Plenty District Council Senior Transportation Project Engineer Jamie Minchington said the project was necessary to support a growing community and improve the long-term condition of the route.
“This area is a key route in Te Puke, used frequently by residents, students and families, emergency services, the kiwifruit industry, and others in our community,” Minchington said.
“It’s critical we ensure the underground infrastructure and road itself is up to scratch to meet the demands of a growing community.”
He said residents would benefit from a stronger and safer road once the project was completed.
“Once the upgrades are complete, the community will benefit directly from a new road that is safer, more durable, and better suited to everyday traffic and heavy vehicle movements.”
Road closures and delays expected
Residents and motorists should expect disruption while the remaining work is completed.
Traffic management is likely to include road closures, detours and single-lane stop-and-go controls.
Delays are expected along Boucher Avenue, particularly during busy travel periods.
There may also be temporary driveway closures, along with periods of noise and vibration near active work sites.
Council is advising motorists to plan ahead and allow additional travel time.
“During the project, people will experience road closures and detours, single-lane stop-go traffic management, delays on Boucher Avenue, particularly during peak periods, temporary driveway closures, and periods of noise and vibration,” Minchington said.
“We’re advising the community to please plan ahead and allow extra travel time while the work is ongoing.”
Detour routes to be introduced
Detour routes will be used at different stages of the project.
Affected roads may include:
- Cameron Road
- Clydesburn Avenue
- Hookey Drive
- Dudley Vercoe Drive
- Tynan Street
- Glen Terrace
- Moehau Street
The exact traffic arrangements may change as work moves between different sections of Boucher Avenue and No. 2 Road.
Residents, schools and businesses will be kept informed as the project progresses.
Council acknowledges project delays
Council has acknowledged that the project has taken longer than initially expected.
Minchington said officials recognised the disruption roadworks could create for residents, growers and school communities.
“We also acknowledge the project has taken longer than originally planned and recognise that roadworks are disruptive,” he said.
“The team will work to minimise disruption as much as is reasonably possible, and we’ll make sure residents, businesses, and schools are kept updated as the works progress.”
He also thanked the community for its patience during the earlier stages of the project.
“We appreciate the patience and understanding shown by residents, school families and growers as we work through the remaining stages to deliver these important upgrades for the long-term benefit of the community,” Minchington said.
Why the work paused during harvest season
The project was deliberately paused in March to reduce disruption during the kiwifruit harvest.
Large orchard vehicles and heavy trucks regularly use roads around Te Puke during the harvest season.
Continuing major roadworks during that period could have created safety risks, increased delays and made it more difficult for growers and transport operators to move machinery and produce.
By delaying the final stage until late August, the council aims to complete the remaining work before the next harvest period.
Community information session announced
A public information session will be held before work resumes.
The session will take place on Saturday, 15 August, from 2pm to 4pm at the Te Puke Fire Station, located at 13 Boucher Avenue.
Fulton Hogan will begin the meeting with a short presentation about the project.
Residents will then be able to ask questions and speak directly with members of the project team.
Parking will be available behind the fire station and on Gilmore Street.
People attending are asked to keep the front of the station clear for emergency vehicles.
Community information session details
What: Boucher Avenue project community information session
When: Saturday, 15 August, from 2pm to 4pm
Where: Te Puke Fire Station, 13 Boucher Avenue, Te Puke
The session is intended to help residents understand the upcoming construction programme, traffic changes and possible effects on property access.
Property access and project enquiries
Residents with general questions about the project can contact Western Bay of Plenty District Council on 0800 926 732 or email info@westernbay.govt.nz.
Questions about access to individual properties can be directed to Fulton Hogan Stakeholder Delivery Manager Mike Metcalfe on 027 202 9395 or by email at michael.metcalfe@fultonhogan.com.
The council says regular updates will be provided as work continues.
Long-term benefits for Te Puke
Once completed, the project is expected to provide a stronger road surface, more reliable underground infrastructure and better conditions for both everyday traffic and heavy commercial vehicles.
The upgrades are also intended to reduce the risk of future failures in water and stormwater systems.
For a growing community with strong connections to horticulture, freight and regional transport, the condition of Boucher Avenue has wider importance.
Council says the remaining disruption will be temporary, while the benefits of the project are expected to support Te Puke for many years.





