DEVELOPING NEWS | AUCKLAND
Last updated: 4:44pm, Thursday, 13 August 2026
A major armed-police operation at Sylvia Park shopping centre in Mt Wellington has ended, with Police saying there is no ongoing risk to public safety, after shoppers and retail workers reported seeing an armed person and hearing multiple gunshots on Thursday afternoon.
The shopping centre was placed into lockdown shortly before 3pm as armed officers, police dogs, emergency services and the Police Eagle helicopter converged on the area. The lockdown has since been lifted, although part of the complex remains cordoned off and Police have asked the public to continue avoiding the area while enquiries are carried out.
At the time of publication, Police had not publicly confirmed whether shots were fired by officers, whether another person fired a weapon, whether anyone had been killed or injured, or the circumstances that triggered the operation. Witnesses have given dramatic accounts to New Zealand media, including one man who told 1News he saw a person being pursued by Police immediately before hearing shots. Those accounts remain eyewitness testimony rather than confirmed Police findings.
What Are You Really Voting For? Your Mortgage, Your Visa, Modi, or a Feeling? – WebfitNews
Situation at 4:44pm
The most important update for Aucklanders is that the immediate emergency appears to be over.
Police told media the incident had concluded and that there was “no risk to public safety”. Officers are, however, remaining at Sylvia Park while enquiries continue, and Police have asked members of the public to avoid the area.
Kiwi Property, which owns and manages Sylvia Park, said part of the shopping centre had been locked down as a precaution. It later confirmed the wider lockdown had ended, although a section of the centre remained cordoned off.
Shoppers who had been kept inside were subsequently allowed to leave through a specified exit at the rear of the mall, according to 1News.
That represents a significant change from the situation earlier in the afternoon, when workers told RNZ they had been instructed to lock their shop doors after reports that a person with a gun had been seen in the area. Armed Police and police dogs were visible inside and around the shopping centre.
Sylvia Park is New Zealand’s largest shopping destination, with well over 200 retailers, meaning an emergency lockdown there can affect thousands of shoppers, workers and commuters in one of Auckland’s busiest commercial precincts.
What witnesses say happened
Several independent eyewitness accounts describe a fast-moving incident involving a person apparently carrying a firearm, followed by a large Police response and multiple gunshots. Police have not yet confirmed the full sequence of events, so the accounts should not be treated as an official reconstruction.
One woman who was stopped near traffic lights outside Sylvia Park told 1News she saw a man drive onto a traffic island, where his vehicle became stuck. She said the man got out carrying what appeared to be a large firearm and began moving toward her vehicle. According to her account, he then ran toward the mall as Police vehicles and the Eagle helicopter arrived.
Another witness, George Heller, told 1News he was loading groceries into his vehicle when he saw a man believed to be carrying a pistol running past him while being pursued by Police. Heller said he then heard three shots and believed the man had been shot. He placed the incident near the Foot Locker area of the centre.
A separate witness leaving the mall reported seeing a man running across the road from the direction of Spotlight while being chased by Police. That witness described the object the man was carrying as something that looked like a rifle and reported hearing three gunshots shortly afterwards.
Inside H&M, another shopper told 1News she heard what sounded like three or four shots before people were urgently directed upstairs. She believed the sound had come from outside the mall.
RNZ separately received accounts from retail workers who said employees had reported a man running and hearing roughly four or five shots. One worker said he saw helicopters, fire appliances, Police vehicles and armed officers outside while staff remained locked inside their store.
The consistency across several accounts strongly indicates that multiple loud reports were heard during the Police operation. What cannot yet be responsibly stated is who fired, how many shots were actually discharged, what weapon or weapons were involved, or whether anyone was struck. Police had not confirmed those points as of 4:44pm.
Emergency services swarm the mall
Hato Hone St John said it was alerted to the incident shortly before 3pm and deployed emergency resources to Sylvia Park. At the time of the latest available reports, St John had not disclosed whether its crews had treated or transported any patients.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand crews were also seen at the scene, alongside a substantial Police presence.
RNZ reporter Bella Craig reported around 20 Police officers outside the mall’s main entrance, approximately 15 Police vehicles blocking the entrance, and about 50 members of the public gathered outside while the incident was still unfolding. The front car park had been taped off.
Police officers carrying long firearms were seen both inside and outside the complex, while retail workers also reported seeing police dogs.
Video obtained by 1News showed Police beyond a cordon holding up a white sheet to shield an area from public view. RNZ also reported officers putting up a white sheet near one of the car parks outside Foot Locker.
That detail will inevitably fuel speculation online, but it is important not to jump ahead of confirmed information. A white screen at an emergency scene does not, by itself, establish that someone has died. As of 4:44pm, Police had not publicly announced a death or disclosed the condition of any person involved.
What Police have not confirmed
This is the most important distinction in reporting the incident.
Despite eyewitness accounts of gunfire, Auckland Police had not confirmed to RNZ whether there had been a shooting or stabbing. Instead, Police confirmed that an incident had occurred, that it had ended and that there was no continuing danger to the public.
Likewise, Police had not confirmed the identity, age or background of the person witnesses said was carrying a weapon, nor whether that person was arrested, injured or killed. No motive had been announced, and there was no official indication at 4:44pm that the incident was gang-related, terrorism-related, connected to a robbery or linked to any other crime.
That matters because several unverified claims were already circulating on social media while the mall was locked down. Those claims should not be repeated as fact without Police confirmation.
One widely reported point is that a witness believes Police shot a man. That is significant and deserves reporting, but the responsible wording at this stage is exactly that: a witness says he saw it happen. It is not yet an official confirmation of a Police shooting.
As of 4:44pm, the New Zealand Police public news page did not contain a dedicated media release explaining the Sylvia Park incident, meaning the formal Police account was still awaited.
Lockdown created frightening scenes for workers and shoppers
During the emergency, workers described being instructed to shut doors and shelter with customers inside stores.
One employee told RNZ she and customers had locked themselves inside after being advised that a person with a gun had been seen in the area. She reported seeing armed officers carrying long rifles as well as police dogs.
Another employee said staff had moved into the back of their store as Police moved shoppers away from the immediate area. Workers elsewhere in the mall reported hearing noises they believed were gunshots, although some acknowledged they could not personally identify gunfire with certainty.
One retail worker told RNZ the experience was frightening and raised wider concerns about the safety of staff working in large Auckland shopping centres.
Geneva House, an office building within the wider Sylvia Park precinct, was also placed into lockdown during the incident, according to 1News.
Local Maungakiekie MP Greg Fleming said Police had advised him the incident was no longer ongoing and urged anyone still at the centre to continue following directions from Police and mall staff. He acknowledged the experience would have been frightening for shoppers, workers and the Sylvia Park team.
Travel around Sylvia Park
Even though the lockdown has been lifted, this is not the time to head toward Sylvia Park just to see what happened.
Police have specifically asked the public to avoid the area while officers conduct enquiries. A continued Police presence and cordons can affect access around Mount Wellington Highway and the entrances to the shopping centre.
1News reported that Auckland Transport had put detours and diversions in place for multiple bus services because of the emergency-services response. Because transport conditions can change rapidly after an incident is contained, passengers should check current Auckland Transport information before travelling rather than assuming earlier diversions are still operating.
Sylvia Park sits beside major Auckland road links and is served by bus and rail services, making disruption around the precinct capable of flowing quickly into surrounding Mt Wellington traffic. Kiwi Property describes the centre as accessible from Mount Wellington Highway, Carbine Road and Waipuna Road.
For Aucklanders who do not need to be at the mall, the sensible course remains to give emergency services space and avoid unnecessary travel into the immediate area until Police say their scene work is complete.
What we know, and what we still need to know
At 4:44pm on Thursday, 13 August 2026, this much can be responsibly established:
Sylvia Park was placed into lockdown shortly before 3pm after reports of an armed person. Armed Police, police dogs, the Eagle helicopter, St John and Fire and Emergency responded. Multiple witnesses reported hearing several gunshots, while witnesses also described seeing a person carrying what appeared to be a firearm and being pursued by Police.
The lockdown has now been lifted. Police say the incident has concluded and there is no ongoing danger to the public, although part of the centre remains cordoned and officers are continuing their enquiries.
What remains unanswered is substantial.
Police have yet to publicly explain what brought officers to Sylvia Park, whether the armed person fired a weapon, whether Police discharged firearms, whether anyone was wounded, the medical condition of anyone involved, whether an arrest has been made, or what charges or investigation may follow.
Until those facts are released, reports that somebody was shot should remain clearly attributed to witnesses rather than presented as established fact.
The immediate danger may be over. The investigation is not.
And for Aucklanders right now, the practical message is straightforward: the Sylvia Park lockdown has been lifted, Police say there is no continuing public-safety threat, but the public should still avoid the immediate area while the scene remains under investigation.





